Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on February 14, 2023
Best Online Retainer Companies
Sometimes buying a retainer can be inconvenient and expensive from a dental office. One of the best parts of online shopping in the past few years is that we can now get our retainers online. Buying your retainers online will save you extra trips to the dental office by delivering your retainers right to your door.
There are many online retainer companies to choose from and many things to consider when buying your retainers from an online retailer. If you already know that you need a retainer, you can save money by buying your retainer online. When buying a retainer online, you need to consider the company’s price, arrival time, and reputation.
Online retainer retailers will typically have lower prices than the dental office, making them popular. You will need a retainer company to measure your mouth, provide different retainers, and give you a reasonable price point. When buying from an online retailer, you will need to know if you are interested in a Hawley retainer, a VFR retainer, or a permanent retainer.
We will discuss everything you need to know when buying your retainers online. This guide will help you pick the best online retainer company to suit your needs. Every online retainer company has its perks and drawbacks to take into consideration. Continue reading this guide to gauge the pros and cons of the top online retainer companies and avoid wasting your money.
Choosing the Best Online Retainer Company
The list below will show the top online retainer companies out there and describe the pros and cons of each company. To choose the best online retainer company for your needs, you must sort through the list below and decide which company has the features you are interested in.
1. Retainer Club
Retainer Club is an online retailer company that is a good option for long-term retainer use. This online retainer company sends you replacement retainers on a schedule of your choice. In addition, they scan your teeth to get an accurate sizing of your mouth instead of using a mold like other online retainer companies.
Depending on your preferences, you can choose to have replacement retainers sent to you once a year or several times a year. This is a subscription plan and is not ideal if you are looking for a one-time purchase.
Highlights of using Retainer Club:
- Retainer Club uses a scanner to measure your mouth.
- Retainer Club is a subscription-based service that doesn’t make one-time purchases.
- Retainer Club delivers its product quicker than its competitors.
Pros of Retainer Club:
- Quick delivery of your retainers. After submitting your mouth scan, your retainer takes seven days or less to arrive.
- This option is excellent for people with sensory issues because they don’t use a mold to measure your mouth. Instead, they do a quick scan of your mouth to get their measurements.
- Having a retainer subscription is easy to get clean replacements without much conscious effort.
Cons of Retainer Club:
- You need to go to the partnered office to have your mouth measured with their scanner. This is inconvenient if you do not have easy access to transportation.
- This service is not ideal if you want to make a one-time purchase or are an aversion to subscription plans.
These situations need to be considered before purchasing your retainers from Retainer Club. If you are not interested in using a subscription service for your retainers, this is not a good option. If you also do not have easy access to transportation, this option is not ideal.
Byte is an online retailer company that will send you a mold to measure your mouth and ship you your choice of retainer. In addition, this company uses technology to help you track the progress of your retainer treatment. This is great for people who have specific oral issues that they need to keep monitoring.
Byte also has online support available seven days a week if you have any problems with your retainer.
Highlights of Byte:
- Byte is a subscription service that doesn’t make one-time purchases.
- Byte is done entirely from home.
- Byte uses a mold to measure your mouth for your retainer.
Pros of Byte:
- You can use Byte’s online retainer service entirely from home. This is fantastic for people that do not have easy access to transportation.
- Byte offers online support seven days a week if you’re unsatisfied with your retainer. This is excellent news for people with a busy schedule.
- Byte has an online tracker to help you monitor your progress. It is user-friendly to control your oral care with an online tracker.
Cons of Byte:
- Byte uses a mouth mold to take measurements of your mouth. However, this type of measurement can be frustrating for people with sensory issues.
- You will have to wait until Byte receives your mouth measurement to have your retainer delivered. Shipping times can be e frustrating when sending items back and forth.
- Byte is a subscription service, so this may be a turn-off if you do not want to subscribe to a service.
If you are on a time crunch or have sensory issues, Byte may not be the best online retailer. So consider these things before buying retainers from Byte.
3. Clear Retain
Clear Retain is an online retailer company that uses a mouth impression kit to measure your mouth. This is a widespread way online retainer companies measure your mouth to give you the right retainer size.
Highlights of Clear Retain:
- Clear Retain is a one-time purchase website, so you just need to order retainers as you need them.
- Clear retain provides a video tutorial to help you accurately measure your mouth.
- From your order date, you will receive your retainer within 16 days
Pros of Clear Retain:
- Clear Retain is a one-time purchase, so you do not need to worry about subscribing to a prescription.
- You can choose whichever retainer you want, and many options are available.
- Clear Retain has affordable retainers.
Cons of Clear Retain:
- If you know you will need to buy retainers regularly, it may be easier to use a subscription service instead of a one-time purchase.
- The time to receive your retainer will depend on when you send in your mouth measurement.
If you are not interested in using a subscription service for your retainer purchase, Clear Retaine is an excellent option. They use the same measurement tool that most retainer companies use, and you can do everything from home. This is great for people looking to make a quick one-time purchase for their retainer without leaving their house.
4. Retainers Direct
Retainers Direct is an online retailer company that allows you to have your retainers shipped directly to your house. These retainers are a one-time purchase and not a subscription service. In addition, this company offers a clear retainer to their customers, which is excellent for people looking for a discrete option.
Highlights of Retainers Direct:
- Retainers Direct uses an impression measuring device that most online retainer companies use.
- Retainers Direct uses clear retainers for a discrete look.
- Retainers Direct will save your measurements if you want to order more retainers from them in the future.
Pros of Retainers Direct:
- Orthodontists own Retainers Direct, so they know what they are doing.
- You can choose to make one-time purchases or subscribe to their membership. This makes this company a flexible option for most people.
- They include an instruction video on their website that allows people to measure their mouths accurately.
Cons of Retainers Direct:
- Retainers Direct does not have as many retainer options as other online retainer companies.
Retainers Direct is one of the more flexible options on this list because you can choose to make a one-time purchase or subscribe to a plan. A one-time purchase will save your initial measurements from getting your replacement retainers quicker. In addition, when you use Retainers Direct, you can do the whole process from home, which is excellent for people with limited access to transportation.
5. Sporting Smiles
Sporting Smiles is an online retailer company that allows you to customize your retainers to fit your needs. This company uses the same mouth impression kit that most other companies on this list use. This is a one-time purchase retainer company, so you don’t have to worry about reoccurring subscription fees.
Highlights of Sporting Smiles:
- Sporting Smiles offers retainers, night guards, and teeth whitening.
- Sporting Smiles is done entirely at home.
- Sporting Smiles offers a discount when you reorder from them.
Pros of using Sporting Smiles:
- Sporting Smiles makes custom retainers that prevent your teeth from shifting around.
- Sporting Smiles has been around for years and has had many customers
- The retainers offered by Sporting Smiles are clear and discreet
Cons of using Sporting Smiles:
- Sporting Smiles doesn’t offer a subscription service which can be inconvenient for many people.
- Sporting Smiles uses a mouth mold to measure your teeth which can be uncomfortable for people with sensory issues.
Sporting Smiles has been around longer than many other online retainer companies, making them reputable. It is good to buy your retainers from a company with a strong reputation.
6. Smile Direct Club
Smile Direct Club is an online retailer company that is subscription-based. Smile Direct Club is not intended for the purchase of a single retainer. This is good for people that know they will need retainers for a long time.
- Recommended article: Smile Direct Club Aligners Ultimate Review
Highlights of Smile Direct Club:
- You can choose to do an impression mold or a scan to measure your mouth.
- Doctors will review your scan and give you the best retainer option to suit your needs.
- They offer an online service to monitor the progress of your retainer.
Pros of Smile Direct Club:
- They offer more than one way to measure your mouth, which is good news for people with sensory issues who don’t have easy access to transportation.
- Smile Direct Club is a well-known and reputable company.
- You can do the whole process of buying your retainers from home.
Cons of Smile Direct Club:
- Smile Direct Club is one of the more expensive options on this list
Smile Direct Club is a reputable retainer company that has been around for years. This online retainer company uses doctors to help you get the best retainer for you.
7. Encore Guards
While encore guards are more known for their night guards, they also have retainers available for purchase. This is a one-time purchase service that does not offer a subscription plan. There are few retainer options available, but the offered retainer receives good reviews and is transparent and discreet.
Highlights of Encore Guards:
- Encore Guards will send an impression kit to have your mouth measured.
- Encore Guards offers a two-day rush service for people with severe cases.
- The ordering process can be done entirely from home.
- Encore Guards retainers are clear
Pros of Encore Guard retainers:
- Clear retainers mean fewer people will notice that you are wearing a retainer.
- This service is excellent for people with limited access to transportation because it is done entirely from home.
- Expedited shipping is ideal for people who need their retainer immediately.
Cons of Encore Guard retainers:
- Fewer options than other retainer companies
- Expensive for the limited options available
- No subscription service is available, which can be inconvenient if you know you will eventually need more retainers.
8. Dental Lab Direct
Dental lab direct is an online retailer company that sells the Hawley Orthodontic Retainer. This retainer keeps your teeth securely in place by using metal wires. This option may not be as attractive as its clear competitors, but it is effective and reputable. Dental Lab Direct sells retainers on a one-time purchase basis.
Highlights of Dental Lab Direct:
- Dental Lab Direct sells a huge variety of retainers.
- Dental Lab Direct uses a mold to measure your teeth.
- Dental Lab Direct is done entirely from home.
Pros of Dental Lab Direct:
- Dental Lab Direct is reputable.
- Dental Lab Direct offers more retainer options than other online retailers.
- Dental Lab Direct is a one-time purchase, so you don’t have to worry about reoccurring charges.
- Dental lab direct is done entirely from home, so you don’t have to worry about transportation.
Cons of using Dental Lab Direct:
- Dental Lab Direct uses a mold that can be difficult for people with sensory issues.
- Dental Lab Direct doesn’t offer a subscription service, which can be inconvenient for people who know they will need another retainer later.
Dental Lab Direct is a good choice for people that need a flexible retainer service that is a one-time purchase. However, people who know they want another retainer later on, may benefit more from a retainer subscription service.
Most people are familiar with Invisalign because this online retainer company has been around for a long time. Invisalign provides clear retainers for people seeking a discreet look. Invisalign retainers come in sets of four and are affordable for the quantity that you get.
Highlights of Invisalign:
- Invisalign provides clear retainers.
- Invisalign measures your mouth by taking a mold of your teeth.
- Invisalign sends your retainers in packs of four per order
Pros of Invisalign:
- Invisalign is not a subscription-based company meaning that you can get fitted and have them delivered all at home. This is great for people who do not have easy access to transportation.
- Invisalign’s clear retainers are excellent for people wanting a discreet look. The discreet look is popular and has been for years.
- Invisalign is a reputable company that has been popular for years.
Cons of Invisalign:
- Invisalign is more expensive than some of its competitors
- Invisalign has limited options for retainers
- Invisalign does not have a subscription option which can be inconvenient for some people.
If you are looking for a company that is well known and has been in the industry for a long time, then you should consider using Invisalign. Invisalign makes clear retainers that are fantastic for a discreet look. However, if you are looking for a subscription, Invisalign is not the best option.
Can You Get New Retainers Online?
There are many retainer options available for people to purchase online. People like to buy their retainers online because it is often cheaper than buying from an in-person orthodontist. In addition, you can buy many types of brand-new retainers online for cheap.
What Can You Do If You Lost Your Retainer?
If you’ve lost your retainer, you can order a new set online without going to your orthodontist. Online retainer companies will measure your mouth to give you the right fit for your retainer. Going to the orthodontist when you lose your retainer can cost you unnecessary time and money.
Ordering online is also a good option if you don’t have easy access to transportation. In addition, losing your retainer can be frustrating and upsetting. Buying your replacement retainer will save you the stress and money of going back to your orthodontist for a replacement.
How Will My Teeth Shift Without a Retainer?
After an oral procedure, your teeth will be sensitive and malleable. If you do not use a retainer after an oral procedure, you risk your teeth moving to the position before your procedure is done. This is both painful and renders the procedure you had done useless. The last thing you want to happen after an oral procedure that requires a retainer is to go through the oral procedure again.
Can You Go Three Days Without Your Retainer?
If you cannot use your retainer for a few days, it is unlikely that you will notice any changes. However, once it has been about a week, your teeth will start to shift around again. You should wear your retainer as much as possible to prevent you from ruining the oral procedure you had done. Without using their retainer, most people will not notice significant damage after three days, so do not worry.
How Often Should You Replace Your Retainers?
You wear your retainer every night, so eventually, you will need to replace it for hygienic reasons. The mouth is full of bacteria, and it is challenging to get retainers completely clean after constant use. It would be best to replace your retainers once every six months for optimal hygiene. Hygiene is essential when it comes to long-term oral health. Some people prefer to use a subscription service to get their retainers.
How Long Until Your Teeth Move Without Your Retainer
After a week of missing your retainer, you run the risk of your teeth moving. You need to order your retainer as soon as possible to prevent your teeth from shifting around. Retainers are meant to keep your teeth securely in place. Going without your retainer for too long can cause extreme oral pain.
Are Online Retainers Safe?
Online retainer companies are safe if you buy from a reputable company. However, scams can happen online, so it is always important to check online reviews before buying anything online. Online retainer companies will measure your mouth to make sure your retainer is the right size before custom making your retainer for you.
Is It Okay to Wear a Broken Retainer?
If your retainer breaks, then you should order a new one online. Wearing a broken retainer can be a choking hazard and defeats the retainer’s purpose. Retainers are meant to keep your teeth from shifting, and wearing a broken retainer can defeat that purpose. Broken retainers can also cause scarring and cuts in your mouth, leading to infection. Do not under any circumstances wear a broken retainer.
Can You Glue a Plastic Retainer Together?
If your retainer breaks, you should not attempt to repair it. Using glue to fix a broken retainer can cause cuts in your mouth. Most glue is toxic when ingested orally, and even if the glue is not toxic, it is unlikely that you can glue it back together. People use molds to measure your mouth to give your retainer the perfect fit. If your retainer breaks, do not attempt to repair it with glue.
What to Consider When Buying a Retainer Online
When you buy a retainer online, you need to watch for a few things. There are many online retainer companies out there that provide different services. When buying your retainer online, keep an eye out for the following things. Make sure you purchase your retainer from a reputable company to avoid scams.
Subscription vs. One-Time Purchase
Some online retainer companies offer a subscription-based plan. If you know you will need retainers for a while and anticipate needing future sets; you should consider using subscription-based plans.
On the other hand, if you are looking to buy one retainer in the meantime, you should choose a one-time purchase retainer company. Knowing what kind of plan you seek will help you decide which online retainer company to buy from.
If you don’t have easy access to transportation, you need to be mindful of how online retainer companies plan to measure your mouth. Most online retainer companies can be done entirely at home by sending you a mouth mold, but some companies require you to go to an office to get your teeth scanned.
People buy retainers online because they are cheaper than buying in an orthodontist’s office. However, some retainer options available are still expensive. Therefore, it is important to compare price points when buying your retainer online. Compare the price of the retainer with the reviews for the product too to make sure you are getting value for your money.
Some retainer companies online will send the mold of your teeth to an orthodontist to get you the fitting retainers for you. Other companies will allow you to track the progress of your retainer through an app. This is convenient to determine how long you need to wear your retainer, and it is satisfying to keep tabs on your oral health. When researching online retainer companies look through the services provided to see which company suits your needs best.
If you have sensory problems, you may consider using an online retainer company that uses a scan instead of a mold. Some people have sensitive teeth, and using a mold for measurement can be uncomfortable. The downside of using a scanner to measure your mouth has to leave your house.
Type of Retainer
When buying a retainer online, you will need to know what kind of retainer you need to buy. There are many types of retainers to choose from, and you will need to make sure that the online retailer website you use provides the retainer that works best for you. People have many online retailers to choose from, but not all have various options.
Final Thoughts on Online Retainer Companies
Online retainer companies can save you time and money that you would otherwise spend in an orthodontist’s office. You can either choose to get a subscription to an online retainer company of choice to make a one-time purchase. People like to buy their retainers online because it is an easy and convenient way to save money.