Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on August 10, 2021
How To Get Rid Of Tartar & Plaque? The Best Home Remedies & Solutions
Plaque & Tartar remover; Best Home Remedies
Other than brushing and flossing (Duh!) at least twice a day, there are quite a few things you can do at home to ensure you have plaque and tarte free teeth!
A lot of people think you need to go to the dentist to clean plaque and tartar, but you can actually do it yourself. Here are a few natural and easy ways do to it:
- Eating raw vegetables can help you massively.
- Rubbing your teeth with an orange peel will help kill microorganisms that eventually lead you tartar & plaque. It is a strange plaque and tartar remover but it works!
- Instead of toothpaste, use baking soda! Baking soda has abrasive properties that will rub off the place que tartar off your teeth.
- You can use fluoridated toothpaste. It helps repairing your teeth, especially your tooth enamel and it can also protect against acid and decay. This is our favorite plaque and tartar remover because it works like charm.
- Buy tartar control toothpaste.
- Mix vera gel with water, lemon juice and baking soda to clean your teeth.
- Buy and use a dental scraper to remove the tartar and plaque. Here is the best plaque remover and tartar remover on the market right now:
Plaque & Tartar…The same thing?
Are they the same thing? Even though they are used interchangeably, they are actually not the same thing at all!
Plaque is a sticky film of microscopic bacteria, which basically means is is a bunch of bacteria grouped together!
Even after you brush your teeth, a small layer of saliva with glycoproteins will start to accumulate on them. The purpose of these glycoproteins is to protect your teeth but they also at the same time let the bacteria adhere to the surrounding membrane and then leads to the formation of plaque.
Plaque is easy to spot; it is basically a discolouration on your teeth. It comes in a different range of colours; yellow, orange and even black and it usually shows up on the inside.
Tartar buildup problem is a little bit different. Tartar is basically hardened plaque. It happens because saliva and gingival crevicular fluid (GCG) puts minerals on your teeth. Most of the time tartar will happen in areas with a lot of saliva like the incisors and molars.
A lot of people confuse plaque with tartar because they look the same and tartar is basically plaque that have hardened.
Why you must absolutely remove tartar and plaque.
As you probably know, plaque & tartar is quite gross…But they can also cause major problems like tooth decay and cavities! If you don’t remove the tartar and plaque from your teeth often, the situation will worsen to the point where you might even get an infection or even worse, loose one of your teeth!
Plaque is essentially a buildup of bacteria on your teeth and tartar is a layer of plaque that haven’t been cleaned.
Earlier we gave you home remedies in order for you for removing tartar and plaque from your teeth, but nothing can beat a dental professional cleaning form a dentist! They have the special tools to do everything and they will get rid of everything. If you are thinking about dental cleaning duration, read our guide to learn how long does it take.
It is recommended to visit your dentist every six months. A typical teeth and gums cleaning costs on average $100 and will improve your dental hygiene to a great extent.
Again, it is recommend to go see a dentist and get a dental debridement treatment but in the review above we gave you a lot of super cheap solutions to remove plaque and tartar easily.